A multi-modal approach focused on modulating the metabolic status of the patient before, during and after surgery.
- The global estimates of surgical site infection (SSI) have varied from 0.5% to 15%
- Studies in India have consistently shown higher rates of SSI ranging from 23% to 38%
- Nutritional status can have a profound impact on the immune system
- These alterations in immunity may make patients more susceptible to postoperative infections and malnutrition
Surgical site infections are associated with;
- Prolonged hospital stays & delayed recovery
- Reduced health-related quality of life
- Higher morbidity and mortality
- Extreme costs for the health care system
These alterations in immunity may make patients more susceptible to postoperative infections and malnutrition.
Malnutrition has also been related to decreased wound tensile strength and increased infection rates that result in chronic non healing wounds.